Saturday, February 20, 2010

2010 and Beyond



I am in a state of gathering information and gearing up for the next phase.
I am narrowing down applications for grants and residencies. The idea of applying was recommended to me many times in the past years, and I even visited residency locations out of curiosity, but for one reason or another I was not ready to apply. I wanted to build my families of paintings as they developed naturally without particular goals or audiences in mind.
I seem to have reached a point where I have a strong and cohesive collection of recent works. I can confidently say that these pieces represent my development as an artist and where I want to go with my work.
Many sketches have come from this period. Mostly just experimentation with composition and without association (aside from the ever present landscape).

I am working on finding a larger local studio space to more easily continue my series of large-scale paintings. I have also been conceptualizing the process of enlarging my knit works. I will have to refine my prototype of enormous circular needles fashioned out of wood and coated wire. I plan to start with '3-tier stump', which resembles the body of a woman, and am hoping the materials will have enough stability to match my height or larger. That series will definitely require a large space and I'm looking forward to putting those in to motion.
My new website is to be complete very soon as well which I am very excited about. Many good things on the horizon!
(Kandinsky at the Guggenheim '09)

No comments: