Thursday, March 5, 2015

Winter Oak

This painting is in the midst of a big makeover...
  I know I have some images of the underpainting somewhere too, but I'll have to add them later when I figure out what phone or camera I was using at the time. I started this painting a few years ago, when the subject was then just a favorite tree in my boyfriend's yard. This project got put on hiatus when I moved and time went by...and by...and by. I eventually rediscovered it in my hoarder's delight of a studio and decided to take a different approach. I now live with this tree and know it well, so my perspective and the meaning of it all has changed a bit.
  For a while, I had gotten away from my usual process of dripping a graph. I use this technique to establish segments and bring some order to the big mess I make when a painting begins. When I came back to this piece after not seeing it for about a year, I decided to dive in and just paint naturally without trying to continue the non-drippy style I began with. The dripping process has become so much a part of painting for me that it looked weird without it! This tree has got the most interesting bark. A piece actually plopped off and was laying in the yard so I keep it in the studio next to this painting. I can't wait to get into the details.


hiatus state:


No comments: