Saturday, September 5, 2009

Art Overhaul

(Earlier Post From Thursday, August 13, 2009)

Hello! I had fallen off the wagon a while back there, but have now updated my profile and will be checking in regularly.
I have been creating a series of oil paintings measuring around 48''x60'' that I am just about ready to show. I will be putting together an exhibit in either Philadelphia or NYC. I am likely canceling the Baltimore show that I had set up because the venue's wall space is rather limited in terms of size and weight. A beautiful location, but perhaps not the best place for my current work.
In the past, I have made the mistake of adjusting or redirecting my art in order to fit a space or an audience and, now more than ever, I must make the art that I am moved to create. The joy of being an artist stems from the satisfying act of taking an idea, or even an emotion, bringing it out of our private minds and into our world as a physical object.
When an idea first appears on canvas, it is often jumbled and needs a good deal of refinement in terms of design. This is where knowledge of functional compositions, value relationships and color theory can save you years of pondering. I do believe that a very strong idea with poor design can express the intended information or emotions, but the piece may be awkward to view and cause an unintended feeling of tension. As a mediator, the artist must stay faithful to the idea that they have decided to share, but express it in a form that can be received by the viewer. Achieving both can be a struggle, as the idea does not often appear in the most organized form.
The family of works titled "Abstract Wetscape" are meant to pull the viewer inside an expansive landscape. The features of these landscapes are undefined to allow each viewer to apply definitions that work for them. I wanted to provide enough vast space for the viewer to feel free to frolic, and provide enough features to make the space warm and inhabited yet leave them undefined to be completed by the viewers personal requirements.
Thanks for taking an interest in my work!
www.moore-art.com
myspace.com/moorepaintings
www.flickr.com/photos/23272215@N02/

No comments: