Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Size


Landscape Miniature 1 (Canopy)............Landscape Miniature 2 (Roses)...........Landscape Miniature 3 (Trunk)


Some miniature paintings from 2004 resurfaced when I last moved and unpacked. I matted and framed them for the exhibit this summer, but apparently they were too small to hang on the chain system they had installed so they weren't shown. The poor guys were just too little.
Each piece is about 4''x4'' and they are done in oils on paper.
One of the things I love about these is the significance of texture and brush stroke. The motion of my hand is incredibly pronounced. One of my favorite teachers taught me to use the largest brush that you can, and I keep that in mind always. A sense of motion and continuity is really brought to life by using a larger brush when possible and only scaling down if necessary.
One of the difficulties that I find with working large is that the brush is comparatively so small. Working large, I have to do with my whole body what I do with just my hand on a small canvas. The marks I make are recording my motions. I enjoy working both large and small and it requires a real adjustment to switch back and forth.

I went to the PMA and wandered around all day yesterday. I honed in on Mark Rothko, Arthur Dove and Renoir. All in adjoining rooms, which I found odd but handy. "The large Bathers" were so beautiful. I couldn't move for a good while. Even when I don't feel like I need it, looking at works like this recharge my batteries. It's so important to view the originals.

No comments: